Applying for Undergraduate Admission
Soka University of America seeks students of intelligence and commitment who will provide leadership in the promotion of peace and human rights. The university serves highly motivated students of all backgrounds and beliefs who have excelled in a range of academic courses. Admission to SUA is competitive and selective. Although all successful applicants may have strong academic records, good grades and test scores are not enough by themselves for an applicant to be accepted. The Admission Committee carefully considers a number of criteria without a rigid emphasis on any one factor.
Applicants do not have to wait for first semester senior grades before applying.
In addition to the application form, students must complete the required application checklist materials.
Faxed, scanned, emailed and late application materials will not be accepted.
All required checklist materials must be received by the Office of Admission by the listed deadline(s) to be considered by the admission committee.
Soka University conducts both Early Action and Regular Admission rounds. The application and document deadline for Early Action is November 1st and January 15th for Regular Admission. All required documents must be received by the Office of Admission by the deadline for the round the applicant has applied to be considered for admission.
About Early Action
- Soka University of America provides an Early Action process by which students can receive early notification of acceptance.
- Early Action is non-binding at Soka University of America. Most applicants choosing the Early Action option have high academic qualifications.
- Applicants who are not admitted in the Early Action round may be rolled over to the Regular Admission process for the term in which they applied. At the discretion of the Admission Committee, applicants may be re-assessed with the applicant pool for Regular Admission. Students rolled over to Regular Admission may provide updated materials, specifically transcripts, mid-year reports, test scores and extracurricular activities.
- Students who are denied admission for Early Action may not re-apply for Regular Admission for the same term.
- Should an applicant require more time to complete their application process, it is recommended that they apply for Regular Admission.
Application Checklist and Requirements
The student seeking admission to the BA in Liberal Arts program as a First-Year student must fulfill the following application requirements to be considered for admission. Application requirements are frequently reviewed and can change without notice.
- Application Form:
- Applicants must use the Soka Online Application or the Common Application and fill out the application forms completely. Completed application forms should be signed and dated by the applicant. Online applications may be printed out or completed online and are available at admissions.soka.edu/apply.
- Application Fee:
- A $45 nonrefundable application fee (paid by check or money order only) must be submitted with the paper application. If you submit your application via the Soka Online Application or Common Application, your fee will be reduced to $30.
- Soka University accepts College Board, NACAC, and Common Application fee waivers. Applicants who are eligible for a Fee Wavier must send their approved waiver to SUA if paying by waiver.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that a fee waiver or payment is sent to the Admission Office or their application will be considered incomplete.
- Official Transcripts:
- Official transcripts from within and outside of the United States must be sent directly to Soka University of America.
- Printed transcripts are required to remain in their original sealed envelope from the school without indication of potential tampering.
- High school/secondary school transcripts
- Applicants must provide official transcripts produced/issued by their high school or secondary school showing all completed academic coursework.
- College/university transcripts coursework attempted
- Official Transcripts produced/issued by the College/University for all completed coursework are required.
- Applicants may submit unofficial copies of their college transcripts for their application checklist (applicants offered admission will be required to provide official college transcripts prior to enrollment).
- All college coursework completed while in high school as a part of dual enrollment or a graded program can be transcribed on the high school transcript.
- General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or High School Equivalency (HSE)
- If necessary, and as requested by the Office of Admission, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or High School Equivalency (HSE) may need to be submitted.
- Admitted students must submit official score reports from the GED or HSE test and submit a copy of the GED or HSE certification to enroll.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. Academic recommendations (from a principal, headmaster, school counselor, or teacher) is preferred. We ask that recommenders use the official form provided in the Soka Online Application or the Common Application. Up to three letters of recommendation will be accepted.
- English Proficiency:
- Applicants for whom English is not their native language will need to demonstrate English proficiency by submitting TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or Duolingo English Test results. It is preferred for applicants to pass the TOEFL iBT exam with a minimum score of 80 or pass the Duolingo English Test with a minimum score of 115 (160 scale).
- The Office of Admission does not accept TOEFL iBT or Duolingo English Test scores older than two years of the testing date.
- Official TOEFL iBT or Duolingo English Test scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admission. Student copies and self-reported scores are not accepted.
- The TOEFL® school code for Soka University of America is 4720. For Duolingo, please select “Soka University of America Undergraduate Admissions.”
- Mandatory Essays:
- Two mandatory essays that answer the questions put forth in the application. Essay prompts can be found on our "How to Apply" webpage.
- List of Extracurricular Activities:
- Soka University requires list of extracurricular activities or talents demonstrating outside interests and leadership experience. The activities section of the Soka online application and Common Application fulfills this requirement when filled out fully.
- Official Test Scores (Optional):
- Official SAT or ACT test scores are not required for admission consideration. For those who would like to send their test scores, Soka’s SAT code is 4066 and Soka’s ACT code is 0467. Test scores will be official if the examination scores of the SAT or ACT are sent directly to Soka University by the testing agency.
- The name used for your SAT and/or ACT examinations must be your legal name that you use on your admission application.
- The Office of Admission does not accept SAT or ACT scores older than five years from the testing date.
- SUA does not require the SAT II-SAT Subject Test.