Alcohol Policy

SUA places emphasis on the health and well-being of members of the university community. Good health provides the foundation on which citizens build contributive, value-creating lives. Alcohol and drug abuse have become serious health problems that challenge colleges around the globe. Alcohol and drug abuse can lead to conduct that may endanger the safety of individuals and property both on and off campus.

Alcohol Policy

It is the firm belief of the university that alcohol, while it may be legally acceptable for those aged 21 years and older, is not a necessary ingredient for holding a successful event. As such, the usual standard for university functions is that alcoholic beverages are not served. 

Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages on the campus of Soka University of America conforms to the laws of California and Orange County. 

In summary, these laws prohibit: 

  • Possession, use or purchase of liquor, beer or wine by persons under 21 years of age (California Alcohol Beverage Control Act, Section 25658).
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages or possession of an open container of alcoholic beverages in a public place (Orange County Code 2-5-35).
  • Sale or advertisement of sale of alcoholic beverages without a license (Business and Professions Code 23300).
  • Public drunkenness (California Penal Code 647f).
  • Providing liquor, beer, or wine to an underage individual (California Alcohol Beverage Control Act, Section 25658).
  • Driving while under the influence of alcoholic or controlled substance (Code of State of California Vehicle Code 23152(a) and 23152(b)). 
  •  A person under the age of 21 to possess alcoholic beverages on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to public view (California Alcohol Beverage Control Act Section 25662).

Soka University of America complies with California state laws concerning the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors (under the age of 21).

Because of the considerable health risks involved in drug and alcohol use, resources are available to assist members of the Soka community in dealing with drug and alcohol abuse problems. Individuals interested in using these resources should contact Health Services at (949) 480-4143 or the Office of Student Services at (949) 480-4018. 

There may be occasions where a group sponsoring an event would request for alcohol to be made available. In such instances, the individuals sponsoring the event should follow the policies outlined below for obtaining permission to serve alcohol on university premises. 

Administrative Procedures for Obtaining Approval to Serve Alcohol on Campus 

With the exception of the Residence Hall Alcohol Policy, alcohol is prohibited on campus, unless approval is given by the Office of the Dean of Students. All individuals wishing to sponsor an event on campus where alcohol is served should contact the office of the dean. 

The university, through designated officials, reserves the right to refuse service of alcohol to any individual at events on the campus or at university sponsored events off campus. Individuals may also be removed from campus for inappropriate behavior due to the consumption of drugs or alcohol. 

In consideration of Soka University of America’s Campus Alcohol, Marijuana, and Illegal Drug Policy, the Residence Hall Alcohol Policy is outlined below: 

Residents are expected to act responsibly and be accountable for activities taking place within their living space. The consumption of intoxicating beverages is not an excuse for irresponsible behavior including signs of and manifestations of intoxication. Residents are expected to conduct themselves in a manner best reflecting the highest regard of self, others, and Soka University of America. Residents are expected to adhere to state laws and regulations pertaining to alcohol. Likewise, the Residential Life staff will enforce all California state laws and regulations as expressed in this policy.