Incomplete Course Work

Students who have fully participated in a course during a particular block or semester and whose current work is of non-failing quality, may petition their instructor to assign an incomplete grade if for substantial reason they cannot complete required course work. A letter of explanation, a plan for completing the course requirements, and any other supporting materials must be submitted at the time of requesting for an incomplete grade.

Normally the student obtains from the Office of the Registrar a “Request to Receive a Grade of Incomplete” form. The form is filled out by the student and given to the instructor, who then completes the form by assigning a default grade that is entered on the student record if the student does not complete the coursework by the deadline. The incomplete form must also be approved by the Dean of Faculty. An incomplete grade not removed by the deadline will result in the assignment of the default grade as submitted by the instructor. The maximum time allowed for an incomplete to be resolved is the beginning of the corresponding session of the following academic year. (Students who received an “I” in Fall session must complete their work before the beginning of the Fall Block of the following academic year; student who received an “I” in the Spring session must complete their work before the beginning of the Winter Block of the following academic year.)

If a student requires an extension to the deadline, the student must petition, in writing, to obtain an extension to the deadline for removal of the incomplete. The petition, approved by the instructor and the Dean of Faculty, must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for an extension to be granted.

Students whose incomplete grades turn into a poor or failing grade must understand that the retroactive impact of their GPA may affect their academic standing.